Honestly, the first step to eating clean and buying healthier foods is to come to grips with the fact that it WILL cost more than processed foods. However, there ARE some tips that might make it a little bit more affordable.
Here are my top 10:
1) Substitute healthy turkey hot dogs instead of turkey cold cuts.
2) Substitute homemade popcorn instead of chips or crackers.
3) Become a distributor for a local organic produce share (distributors usually get a discount or shares for free).
4) Plant a garden (or at least a herb garden).
5) Plan 1 or 2 meatless meals a week.
6) Look for recipes that use inexpensive proteins like ground turkey, whole chickens and eggs.
7) Plan out your meals for the week or month so you only buy foods you need – and stick to your list.
8) Buy half of your fruits and vegetables frozen.
9) Buy calorically dense foods like Brown Rice, Quinoa, Nuts and Greek Yogurt. It doesn’t take much of these foods to fill you up and fuel your body.